Labels

Sunday, February 20, 2011

What's Cooking? Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup (with Quinoa)

Ahhhh yes another winner this weekend!  Again from the fabulous cook book: Quinoa 365.
I have to tell you that I really love this book.  Everything that I have made from it is fabulous.  This weekend I made the Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup.  It is vegetarian and can easily be vegan.  I will first give you the original recipe, then how I adapted it....


Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
3 Tbsp Butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
One 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup diced roasted red peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
2 tsp white or cane sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 cup quinoa flour
                                   1 cup half and half cream


Melt the butter is a medium saucepan on medium heat.  Saute the onion until tender - about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, basil, sugar and salt.
Whisk the stock and flour together in a medium bowl.  Slowly stir the mixture into the saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then lower the temp for five minutes.
Remove from heat and puree the cooked mixture with a hand blender (or in small batched in a food processor or blender).
Return the soup to the lowest heat setting.  Stir in cream and adjust seasoning as needed.  Serve immediately.


My changes...
I sauteed the onions in olive oil (instead of the butter).
We also don't eat anything from a can (due to the BPA lining in all cans, except for Eden products), so I roasted the red peppers in my oven.
We used vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock.
I used Quinoa flakes, instead of the Quinoa flour, because that is what we had in the house.
I omitted the cream, it really didn't need it.  The soup was thick and tasty without the cow's milk.


I loved this soup!  Loved it.  So glad that I doubled the recipe.


Try it and enjoy.  Also check out the book.  It really is terrific.



No comments:

Post a Comment